Carbon monoxide poisoning can still happen regardless of whether you leave your windows down when the engine is on. The general notion that carbon monoxide leaks only happen for old vehicles also isn’t true. Senator Datuk T.Mohan, the Vice Chairman of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) debunked this myth, saying that new cars are also susceptible to this safety hazard.

“The vehicle’s engine is turned on for a long time without realising that a gas leak could occur from the exhaust and enter the passenger cabin,” said the Senator, in a statement recorded by BERNAMA. He added that the recommendation of lowering your windshields to avoid carbon monoxide gas poisoning is also inaccurate. 

As for how gas leaks like these can be detected, he said, “early signs such as temperature changes in the cabin and nausea” should be looked out for. “If there are these signs, the windows should be opened immediately.

However, to decrease the risk of these precarious situations, drivers are advised to not sleep in their vehicle when the engine is turned on. Last Thursday (17 September), two women died while another two women are in a critical state due to the inhalation of carbon monoxide after sleeping in a car with the engine and air conditioning turned on.

Mohan added that vehicle owners should ensure that their car’s air conditioning system is maintained at least once in a period of six months to avoid any possible incidents from happening.

W.O.B

, , , , ,

About Author

Leave a Reply

//azoaltou.com/afu.php?zoneid=2458908